Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Adventures in Brussels... also, I'm gay

Apparently the day in French class when they went over the words for my wife "ma femme" and my husband "mon mari", I had already checked out because I thought the word for wife was "ma mariee" which basically sounds like a feminized way to say husband. It's an understandable mistake really, but it is nevertheless wrong, which Sara has conveniently pointed out to me after I've been using the term for over 3 months. So basically when I've been speaking in French to someone about 'my wife' I've actually been saying 'my husband'. At least I feminized it, so if they do think I'm gay, at least it's clear I'm the masculine one. I'd much rather be a top than a bottom, call me crazy.

Also to Sara's amusement (and I'm sure also to at least a couple people who have heard me claim that I was going to run a marathon before), I've started running again (us tops have to keep in shape, we do all the hard work) in preparation for the ING Amsterdam Marathon in October. http://www.ingamsterdammarathon.nl/home/index.php If anyone cares to join me, come on over. I'm doing it, I don't care if I have to walk the last 20 miles. It's going to be all flat because it's Holland, the weather will be cool, and I've got the mornings to myself every weekday to train for the next 6 months, so I've got no excuse this time.

Other than that, life as normal here in Brussels, where the 10 day forecast looks like this. RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, LIGHT RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, CLOUDY, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN. Don't believe me? http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/BEXX0005?from=search_10day We really should have our heads checked.

OK, enough of my warbling. Hope everyone's well, especially you Carly, Leon and Lucy. We're thinking about you guys!

Here are some photos of our lives here. Kids growing up fast, Spring finally begun, jobs are jobs, looking forward to vacations to Sweden and France in the next couple of months and friends and family coming to visit.

Jekyll

Hyde

Look who's standing and very impressed with herself.

















Pics above from the Rouge Cloitre/Foret de Soignes park near our house a couple of weekends ago. On the way home, we found a sidewalk square below that we had drawn in when we lived in Brussels briefly after college in 1996. Weird to think all that has happened in the 10 years since we did this, and it's just been sitting there while we've lived our lives, and now we're here, living in a house a tenth of a mile away. Life has a weird way of coming full circle.





And that's this week's episode of Deep Thoughts with a Brussels Homosexual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well well well...I finally found your blog page again. I've been emailing Sara to send me the link again, but she doesn't respond to my emails anymore for some reason.

I'll let you know that your page will now provide quality entertainment during my "working" hours.

Kids are looking great, glad you're enjoying Bruxelles. Cynthia and I will get over for a visit at some point...perhaps next year. I'd join you in that marathon, but that's a bit far for me to fly.

Bummer you're gay now man...I guess living with Sara for the past 10 years or so will do that though (DOH! maybe that'll get her to reply to my emails?!?).

miss you two!
ryan