Thursday, August 10, 2006

The World's Gone Crazy. Again. 08/10/06

Actually it's been crazy for a while now, but this shit at Heathrow today and in the Middle East the past few weeks just reminds us all what a truly fucked up world we live in... and we for the most part are spectators, what's it like to be a participant.

I don't know if maybe I was oblivious before or maybe I had too many choices when it came to media, but I feel like I'm much more in the middle of things over here. I think that's for a couple of reasons. 1. The BBC is superior to CNN when it comes to really delving into topics, really asking hard questions, being able to stay on an issue and not lose momentum because they don't have to cut every 3 and a half minutes to a commercial. Nothing against commercials, I happen to be very fond of someone in the industry, but when it comes to news, it just doesn't fit... issues are complicated, the world is complicated, and limiting us to soundbites and 2 minute reports from the "front lines" doesn't allow time for the in-depth reporting necessary with the state of our world today. 2. There's something about being on a land mass that is connected to the Middle East, India, Russia, China, Afghanistan, and if it weren't for a sliver of water south of Spain, the whole continent of Africa. 3. I'm sure I'm being naiive and idealistic here, but Brussels is a place, like DC, which draws people to the possibility of change... the countless NGO's, all the government programs (Brussels has 4 governments active here- it is the capital of the EU, the city of Brussels has it's own gov't, and the Flemish and Walloon governments have offices here, along with the 19 communes of the city... can you say bureaucracy?), all the international and multi-lingual people, really can't help rub off on you and makes me feel like I should be a part of it, but honestly what I see here that mosts interests me are the business and real estate opportunities. It's such a difficult place to do business, most people give up because they don't think it's worth it, and after my limited experience here so far, they might have a point, but I'm going to keep plugging away until I (officially) lose my marbles.

I know though that if I do make it, I will give back. Number one priority though is supporting my family, and that's the quest I'm on now, to find the next opportunity, especially as the mortgage biz in the US has landed in the shitter.

Sara and kids are doing well, despite the crap weather. Put it this way, August 11th, and I almost wanted to put the heat on this morning. It's been raining for days straight, with no end in sight. Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens must have never spent a summer in Brussels. I think our friends Chuck & Deb who are coming from LA to visit us are going to be in for a rude surprise. Enough bitching. It was 90 degrees and sunny for about 2 weeks straight, and I was complaining then too.

Kids are growing up fast, Sonia's almost walking, Ethan turns 3 in a couple of months, talk about crazy. Photos:


"Is there something on my face?"

































The helpful big brother.












Umm, no comment.

























On a play/dad date at the Airplane/Military museum at Cinquantinaire.



Ethan at the Planckendaal Zoo

No comments: