Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ethan's 3rd Birthday and Job Searching cont...

Hi. Trying to keep the string of posting every couple of weeks going. Just a matter of discipline, as with most tasks, except this involves writing, so I shouldn't view it as a task really, and I don't. Sometimes I just don't have much to say. Sometimes.

My Mom came to visit for Ethan's birthday. Little guy had a party at his school last Friday with a "Speederman" cake. (that's how he pronounces Spiderman... with a little French accent, very cute, but yes, I will teach him the "correct" way soon Chuck). Then Friday night he had a party at our house with Sara's Mom and her friends, and then Saturday morning he had a party with all his little friends at a local indoor playground. I think it was a little much for him as he got a little testy, and neither he nor his equally-moody father were in the best of moods come Saturday post-party. It was a great weekend though, really nice to have my Mom here. Great that we're so close that she can pop over for a weekend and vice versa. Can't believe our little boy is 3! Photos:












Had that second interview with the bank/securities company, went really well, heard back today that the third and fourth interview will probably be Thursday or Friday of this week with the head of the legal department and then the CEO. The job isn't really an executive job, but I'll be basically the right hand on all internal communications for the board meetings, etc. and so interacting with all the execs, so I guess that's why they want to meet with me. The job is actually very interesting, and I really hope I get it. It involves writing and editing, and I'm interested in the content, so that helps.

The personality tests I've taken the last couple of months during my job searching basically told me I should be doing one thing in my life with my motivations and my skill set, and that is creating/writing. Out of hundreds of occupations, job tasks, the two things it recommended I pursue - international activities and writing, so maybe I should finally be honest with myself and listen. I am also really interested in economics and finance, even though i don't have the skills at present, I have the motivation, and this company/position would fit all the criteria I'm looking for, so I'm really hopeful this one works out.

I had applied for two other positions, one as a Counselor at a local high school here, but I didn't get a call back for an interview because of my lack of experience. I also interviewed for at an Asset Mgmt company focusing on Real Estate research, but I didn't get past the first round of interviews because of my age and my major. They're very personal here in interviews in that they will ask you for your age, how many kids you have, etc., and this guy was looking for someone in their mid-20's ideally with a Masters in Econ. Not me, but I thought I could make up for it with my passion for Real Estate, which I will always have, but I think it will just be a hobby, as an investment vehicle, if we get to the point hopefully where we can invest. Prices are going up here quickly, so we'll try to get in even on a small level before it gets too nuts and rates go up too much.

No comments: